There are times when we all want to be more creative. We wish that there were something we could do to express ourselves and create something beautiful at the same time.
If you’re looking for ways to discover your creative side and release the artist within, here are a few simple activities that you can do to get the creative energy flowing.
- Express Yourself
What type of personality do you have? Are you able to express that personality freely at work or with friends? If not, tackle one of these projects and let your personality shine!
- Decorate your house, or at least one room, the way you like it. It doesn’t matter what anyone else tells you, just decorate your room, your way. This will help you unleash your own self-expression.
- Dress the way you want. If tackling the house is too big of a job, then take a look at your wardrobe. Dress how you want to dress. Trust yourself and trust your instincts. You are dressing for you, not the world. Don’t worry; you can express yourself while still being professional at work.
Having your environment and style of dress reflect your personal creative flair goes a long way in lifting your attitude and sense of joy in everyday things.
- Change Your Routine
If you’re stuck in a rut, do things that take you out of your normal routine. It doesn’t really matter how stimulating your work or home life is, when you take a moment to step out of your normal routine for some “me time,” you’ll be open to new ideas and new thoughts.
How can you step out of your normal routine?
- Read a book that you wouldn’t usually pick up or watch a movie that you wouldn’t typically choose.
- Go shopping at a store that you have never been to. You don’t necessarily have to buy anything, just go in and look around.
- Answer that email backlog from a local café or a high-end hotel lobby.
- Meet a friend you haven’t seen for a long time.
- Pay Attention to Your Surroundings
Another simple activity to increase your creativity is to pay attention to your surroundings. You see the same things and people everyday, and you probably even drive the same route to and from work, too. But try to take a few moments and actually pay attention to your surroundings.
- Take a different route home from work. Discover shortcuts or new neighborhoods. Get some groceries or take-out from an ethnic store you haven’t been to before.
- Sit on a park bench and people watch. Think of stories for each person or couple that you see. Invite a friend to meet you for a walk and talk.
- Are there people in your office you have never spoken to before? Take a minute and say hello. You just may find that other people can be quite the source of inspiration for creativity.
- Use Your Imagination
Revisit stories or poems you liked as a kid. Share them with your children or family members. Play. With kids or adults. Have a creative writing party where you share short stories.
Find a do-it-at-home art project. Maybe the kitchen shelves need painting … add a splash of color or refurbish that entry table with the loose leg. Get the patio ready for summer with some fresh cushions and plants.
Increasing your creativity starts in small, simple ways. Your life is filled with opportunities for you to test your creative energies but it’s up to you to take action!