No matter how creative or “un-creative” you may think you are, there’s always room for improvement. Creativity is one of the most powerful tools available to humans. Many of the world’s greatest challenges have been, and will be, solved by those that set their inner creativity loose on problems and challenges. You’ll be surprised by just how much you can enhance your creativity.
Enhance your creativity and find more elegant solutions to life’s challenges:
- Ask a child for an opinion. Children often have brilliant ideas. You’ll have to reconsider the challenge to explain it clearly. This alone might spark new ideas. Children frequently have impractical solutions, but their ideas can open up new avenues of thought. Ask a child and listen to the answer.
- Try to be creative early in the morning and late at night. Those periods of time just after awakening and just before falling asleep are special. Your conscious mind isn’t fully alert and your ability to think freely and imaginatively is enhanced. Take advantage of these two prime creativity periods each day.
- Suspend your judgment. One of the biggest obstacles to creativity is premature judgment. All your ideas and creations won’t be good. Consider all the possibilities before dismissing any of the available options.
- Surround yourself with creativity. Spend time in museums, art galleries, or at the symphony. Read great literary works. Spend time with artists or listening to live music.
- Come up with at least five new ideas each day. Great ideas are like great songs. You have to come up with a lot of them to discover a few hits. Example: Would you like to earn more money? Ask yourself, “What are five ways I can earn at least x-dollars each month?”.
- What ideas would you give a friend in the same situation? Remove yourself from the equation and you’ll find that ideas flow more freely. Imagine a friend in the same situation you’re currently experiencing. What would you tell him? What ideas do you have? You can uncover some of your best ideas this way.
- Think while taking a walk. Actually, any simple activity can do. Mowing the lawn, running on a treadmill, vacuuming the carpet, or swimming laps are other good examples. These simple activities keep part of your practical mind busy, but the creative part of your mind is free to roam. It can be an effective time to think of your five daily ideas.
- What would the most creative person you know do? Imagine what Thomas Edison would do or your very creative brother in law. Think about it and see what pops up.
- Meditation can increase activity on the right side of the brain. Getting to a calm, peaceful state before considering creative solutions.
You can enhance the level of creativity you enjoy each day. You’re only using a small part of your mental capabilities. You have creative capabilities that would amaze you. Develop your creative skills and see the world from a new perspective. You can be more creative today than you were yesterday.