Life’s challenges can make it easy to slip into a negative attitude. However, a positive attitude can change the very things that are bringing you down! A positive attitude is considered by many experts to be the best predictor of success. Nothing else can impact so many factors that lead to success. So even if you have had a history of being down in the dumps with a negative attitude, the good news is having a positive attitude is a habit that can be developed over time.
Just consider the potential positive effects of just adjusting your attitude. A positive attitude:
- Changes your interpretation of events. Obstacles are a part of any significant success. With a poor attitude, every obstacle is viewed as a threat, rather than a challenge. Obstacles can even be viewed as fun and interesting with the appropriate attitude.
- Increases motivation. Nothing is more motivating than positive thoughts and expectations. Think about how you behave if you have a bad attitude and expect failure. Everything comes to a grinding halt. After all, why would you continue if you expected a negative outcome? A positive attitude ensures that progress continues.
- Lowers stress. With a positive attitude, it’s much easier to be happy and relaxed. A poor attitude increases the amount of stress in any situation. There will always be stressful times, but a positive and optimistic attitude helps to diffuse the situation. A good attitude prevents and alleviates stress.
- Inspires others. The people around you are affected by your attitude, including your coworkers, friends, and family. Those around you are more capable when your attitude is positive. People just feel better being around positive, optimistic people. This also benefits your personal success.
- Fear is easier to overcome. Fear coupled with a negative attitude is the perfect recipe for becoming and remaining stuck. A positive attitude acts as a magnet for courage. Those most paralyzed by fear are those with the worst attitude and expectations.
Fear distorts perception, and a positive attitude reduces that distortion. A positive attitude can negate the effects of fear.
- Increases endurance. When your attitude is negative, your stamina is reduced. It’s much more challenging to press on when you expect the worst. A poor attitude magnifies every setback and makes obstacles seem insurmountable. Those with a negative attitude whine and quit first. Those with a positive attitude seem indefatigable.
- Boosts self-esteem. When you expect good things to happen, you can’t help but feel confident and good about yourself. Success is more likely to happen when you have faith in yourself. When you believe the best about yourself, you’ll take on bigger goals and accomplish more.
- Attracts positive results. It’s often said that good things happen to good people. It would be more accurate to state that good things happen to those with good attitudes. You’ll attract better business partners and more opportunities in general when your attitude is at its best. And you will attract like-minded, positive people!
And finally there are cumulative positive results when you add together all the things we’ve mentioned … stamina, self-esteem, motivation and a positive mindset all foster an environment for success. Your attitude is an excellent predictor of your success. When you expect the best to happen, you’ll continue working until your goals are reached. You also attract better opportunities, feel better about yourself, and experience less stress. A positive attitude may be the best tool you can add to your success toolbox. Lift up your attitude and you’ll raise your results.